SCREEN-L Archives

January 2003, Week 3

From:
Jessica Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:28:43 -0500
> From: William Lafferty <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:02:37 -0500
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: locating title
>
>> I would appreciate suggestions on acquiring a copy of
>> The Quiet American (1957)
>
> An NTSC VHS tape is available on eBay until 10:18 PM EST, 14 January 2003.
> Search under that title or item number 3304986968.
>
> William Lafferty
> Wright State University
> Dayton, Ohio  45435  USA

I suppose it would be useless to point out that this is an illegal copy?
I am a tad sensitive on this issue as I have spend the last month tangling
with the bootlegger from HELL on eBay who has been selling copies of
the American Film Theatre titles which Kino spend a small fortune to acquire
and will actually put out LEGALLY this year. This particular video  pirate
would just create a new account sometimes within HOURS of my getting eBay to
pull off the old one. Also  he sold about 600 other illegal videos mostly
dubs of European films

I understand the frustration of not being able to see a film but not every
film ever made is going to be available on video and when you buy these
illegal copies you encourage these sellers and will almost inevitably end up
with VERY poor quality. There are some important films which Kino considered
releasing but gave up when we realized that they had been so widely
bootlegged that they had no value which basically  meant that a quality copy
of these films might never become available.

Just an opinion from distributor and AND a film buff
--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International