SCREEN-L Archives

November 2002, Week 3

From:
richard butsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:19:30 -0500
Before movies, Lydia Thompson the leader of a british variety troupe
called the British Blondes, and her colleagues horsewhipped a Chicago
critic who gave them a bad review. This incident was consistent with the
assertive roles they played ion stage and their often performing
"britches" roles. See dissertation by Marilyn Moses, and shorter
discussions in several sources, notably Robert C Allen, Horrible
Prettiness.