SCREEN-L Archives

September 2002, Week 1

From:
Jessica Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:54:08 -0400
Scott Andrew Hutchins wrote
> Jessica will probably recommend Ida Lupino, since her films are released on
> video by Kino.

 Actually Jessica will recommend
SILENT Women directors since that was the golden age and
since she also produced a series of videos with their films as follows
Lois Weber ( Hypocrites) Cleo Madison ( Eleanor's Catch)
The Ocean Waif ( Alice Guy- Blache) Ruth Ann Baldwin ( 49-17)
Dorothy Davenport Reid ( Red Kimono)
I did a reasonable amount of research ( for a non academic) when putting
this series together and the silent era was undoubtedly the golden age
At some points in the mid-teens Universal had as many as  a dozen different
women who had directed films for them alone.

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International