SCREEN-L Archives

July 2002, Week 2

From:
Peter Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:39:18 EDT
Please note upcoming deadline.  The Web site has all information you need
about our conference: The American West(s): Film, TV, History.

Peter Rollins
www.filmandhistory.org
Film & History, the journal, and by The Historians Film Committee
of the American Historical Association.

Send proposals by 15 August to Area Chairs who are listed on the
web site:

       www.filmandhistory.org

Featured speaker is John Cawelti, author of  The Six-Gun Mystique(1971),
a pioneering work of popular culture studies and the Western.  Cawelti's
publisher, Ray B. Browne (of the popular press), will be present to comment
on this breakthrough publication and the ripple effects which followed.
As one of the Editors of The Journal of Popular Film and TV, Jack Nachbar
will speak about how he, Mike Marsden, Gary Edgerton, and Sam Grogg
carried on the tradition into our own times.

There are over 30 Subject Areas, ranging from Icons of the Western to
Western Noir--and many traditional topics in between.  Do you have a
quarrel with Frederick Jackson Turner?  Bring it to our meeting and see
what others have to say in response.  Have you been watching "Frontier
House" on PBS?  What do you think of it?  Tell us.   (See the web site
for the details concerning subject areas and the contact points to go with
them.)  What about music and its messages in Westerns or the portrait of
the West in cartoons?

The web site has a plethora of information.  If you still have questions
after
consulting it, contact Peter C. Rollins at [log in to unmask]

www.filmandhistory.org

Be there or be square!