SCREEN-L Archives

July 2002, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:33:47 -0400
I'm passing on a message Women Make Movies sent out as part of our recent educational outreach efforts re: women and mental health, featuring DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN and DAUGHTER OF SUICIDE. I hope this is helpful.

Best,
Chris

Christie George
Women Make Movies
462 Broadway, Suite 500
New York, NY 10013
212.925.0606 ext. 306

Established in 1972 to address the underrepresentation and misrepresentation of women in the media, Women Make Movies is the largest distributor of women's films and videos in the world.  Women Make Movies kicks off its 30th Anniversary in March 2002 ( http://www.wmm.com/news/anniversary.htm).  This year-long series of events will celebrate the diversity, vitality, quality and breadth of creativity in WMM's catalogue of more than 400 films and videotapes.  Anniversary festivities will consist of extensive exhibitions and retrospectives, both domestic and international; premiere screenings of new releases in upcoming festivals; and particpation in noteworthy academic conferences.

************ WOMEN & MENTAL HEALTH  ***************

In recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month, Women Make Movies is proud to announce the availability of our WOMEN & MENTAL HEALTH series. Featuring the highly acclaimed documentary DAUGHTER OF SUICIDE by Dempsey Rice, and the Emmy-Award winning film, DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN by Allie Light, this series aims to humanize and shed new light on the experiences of women suffering from mental illness, as well as those of their families.

As part of our support of Mental Health Awareness Month, WMM is offering DAUGHTER OF SUICIDE and DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN together for $398 (plus S/H) when purchased online.

For further information on this special offer and the WOMEN & MENTAL HEALTH series, visit our website at http://www.wmm.com/catalog/mentalhealth.htm.

***************** DAUGHTER OF SUICIDE **************

DAUGHTER OF SUICIDE, A film by Dempsey Rice
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c517.htm
1999, 72 min

Recipient of the 2001 Mental Health Media Award, DAUGHTER OF SUICIDE tells the moving and intimate story about the life and eventual suicide of the filmmaker's own mother.  Opening a box of old family pictures, layering them into a collage of depression, suicide, and guilt, Dempsey Rice weaves together an impressionistic documentary that shares the inner thoughts and feelings of a family's personal tragedy. A deeply moving work, Daughter of Suicide is a courageous story of a young woman searching for answers and making peace with her mother's depression and eventual death caused by years of mental illness.

********* DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN **************

DIALOGUES WITH MADWOMEN, a film by Allie Light
http://www.wmm.com/catalog/pages/c141.htm
1993, 90 min

"I was always so afraid that someone would ask me (where I was when JFK was shot), and I would have to say I was in a mental institution," says director Allie Light. This moving and informative film features seven women--including the filmmaker--describing their experiences with manic depression, multiple personalities, schizophrenia, euphoria and recovery. The social dimensions of women and mental illness are revealed in testimony about sexual assault, incest, racism and homophobia, the abuses of the medical establishment, family, and church. Acknowledging that "madness" is often a way of explaining women's self-expression, this film charges us to listen to the creativity and courage of survivors.

Also included in our Mental Health collection are BEYOND VOLUNTARY CONTROL by Cathy Cook, a stimulating film that imaginatively conveys the obsessions, phobias and illnesses constricting personal freedom; and DELIRIUM by Mindy Faber, a highly personal documentary that exposes the historical relationship between women and madness with wit and sensitivity.

Please check out our website at http://www.wmm.com/catalog/mentalhealth.htm for information on these and other titles.  You can also request a copy our 30th Anniversary catalogue or get information on other new releases  http://www.wmm.com/catalog/newrelse/new_releases.htm.

Offer ends June 30, 2002

************* WMM CONTACT & ORDERING INFO ****************

For further information on this special offer and ordering information, visit our website at http://www.wmm.com/catalog/mentalhealth.htm.

Women Make Movies, 462 Broadway, Suite 502E, New York, NY  10013
P/212.925.0606 x360, F/212.925.2052
[log in to unmask] / www.wmm.com

Women Make Movies is a non-profit feminist media organization which facilitates the production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of films and videos made by and about women. Celebrating our 30th year as the world's largest distributor of films and videos made by and about women, we provide a diverse collection of more than 450 titles to the viewing public and are supported in part by grants from such agencies as the MacArthur Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts. Our catalogue is used by thousands of educational, community and cultural organizations annually.

If you would like to be removed from our list, please send an "UNSUBSCRIBE" message to [log in to unmask] and we will no longer send you announcements from WMM.  Please accept our sincerest apologies if you have received this email without being solicited first.