SCREEN-L Archives

July 2002, Week 2

From:
Ian Grey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:08:52 -0400
I'd say PEEPING TOM is the most comprehensive and empathetic of pysh films.

Yes, the unwell person in question is a monster, but we get a diagnosis
(scoptophilia) and, more importantly, we see how he was made into a monster
by familial torture. And most disturbingly, one is urged to imagine what a
fine, sweet person this would be were it not for the predations of his
father.

Of course, in HMO America, behaviorism has lost its value as a profit
center, and so the film must not be Untrue.