SCREEN-L Archives

June 2002, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:46:53 -0500
Matt Soar requests:

> I'm conducting some background research for a scholarly essay on film titles
> (current candidates for inclusion include the opening sequences for Psycho,
> Se7en, American Psycho, and Swoon). Having trawled through the Screen-L
> archives, it appears that queries concerning this general topic do surface
> periodically, but rarely garner many responses. (I currently suspect that
> there are interesting studies out there that I have yet to identify
> precisely because they employ unfamiliar terminology to describe the same,
> or similar, phenomena.)
>
> So: I'm particularly interested in any recommendations folks can make
> regarding conference papers, scholarly articles, chapters, or even
> book-length studies that discuss movie titles, or motion graphics, or
> typography and the moving image - from *any*  *scholarly* perspective at
> all.

As usual, I'd suggest starting with the FILM LITERATURE INDEX, which
ought to be in your library's reference section.

One book that might be of some relevance is
6 chapters in design : Saul Bass, Ivan Chermayeff, Milton Glaser, Paul
Rand, Ikko Tanaka, Henryk Tomaszewski / foreword by Philip B. Meggs.
Publisher:  San Francisco : Chronicle Books, 1997.

Also see:
http://www.saulbass.net/

A very nice website devoted this one highly influential figure!

Although it provides factual, rather than theoretical, insights, this
website might also be of interest:
http://www.designinmotion.com/aboutus/info/0,8098,35629,00.html

Don Larsson