SCREEN-L Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Scott Andrew Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 23:15:10 -0500
Harold and Maude
The Crown Jewel of Indonesia
The Couch Trip
Don Juan DeMarco
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3:  The Dream Warriors
Alone in the T-Shirt Zone
Psycho (although not to the patient, of course)
Twelve Monkeys
Night Terror
Persona
Return to Oz
What About Bob?

Not sure if any of these show what you're looking for.  Some details:

The Crown Jewel of Indonesia uses a couch in the lead character's (also the
actor's) house.  The best way to get it is to e-mail the director at

Haven't seen The Couch Trip but it might, as may Don Juan DeMarco.

I saw a brief clip of NES3:DW on TV which had what looked like a group
therapy session.  I turned it off when a character monotonously repeated
"And he stabbed me" five or six times and then said "and he kept on stabbing
me," then looked in the listings to see what drivel it was.

Alone in the T-Shirt Zone is a fascinating obscurity from Emmy-award winning
director Mikel B. Anderson that has Taylor Gilbert (currently on-screen in
Spider-Man) as a psychotherapist who gets her catatonic patient to talk by
essentially raping him.

Twelve Monkeys has several sessions.

Night Terror has James Foley in a rare acting stint as frequent Indiana Rep
guest actor Jeff Keel's psychotherapist, in a relatively brief and harsh
scene at the beginning, which is a frame story.  In the end, everyone in the
hospital, including Foley and Keel, are slain with a meat cleaver by a
figure described only as "Death."  This is a rarity, but a lot better than
it sounds and worth tracking down.

Walter Murch's Return to Oz also has a psychotherapy session in its opening
frame story, but it is set in 1899, and could not have an Eames chair.

Persona is kind of a weird example, but it might fit, too.

Scott Andrew Hutchins

Examine The Life of Timon of Athens at Cracks in the Fourth Wall Theatre &
Filmworks
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scottandrewh

"To destroy an offender cannot benefit society so much as to redeem
im."  --L. Frank Baum, _The Flying Girl_, 1911