SCREEN-L Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Dianne Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:00:22 -0500
I think one must include Michael Powell's "Red Shoes"
as it was a breakthrough in terms of the integration
of film and dance (ballet especially)and opened
the door to a flood of dance film with its huge
box office success.

Other musts I think would be "On the Town" which was
adapted from Jerome Robbins' ballet "Fancy Free."  If one
could find the film of "On Your Toes", Balanchine choreographed
this.  Also, West Side Story  and The Turning Point.

Sally Potter's film is called "The Tango Lesson" and Solanas'
film "Tangos: The Exile of Gardel" although available through
Facets is quite expensive to rent.

Good luck!

Dianne Brooks
Associate Professor