SCREEN-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Mike Chopra Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 04:13:09 EST
Maybe this thread is petering out but I can't resist responding to an earlier post (can't remember who from) which replied to my suggestion that frame grabs might not attract copyright protection by pointing out, quite rightly, that use of a single image of Mickey Mouse would bring the Disney lawyers to my door. Apart from the extraordinary litigiousness of Disney, I do think that the situation of cartoon animation might be different from films which rely on a pro-filmic event. Each cell of a cartoon would, I think qualify as a 'work' and therefore attract protection whereas I still think that the same would not be true of a single frame of a conventional film (in the UK anyway).
Mike Chopra-Gant
University of North London