SCREEN-L Archives

November 2001, Week 5

From:
David Skreiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:24:24 +0100
> A colleague of mine is looking for films with plots featuring cultural
> transition(s), i.e. someone going to a foreign country, or someone coming
> home, and in both cases having to make some cultural adjustments and/or
> resisting changes.
>
> Any ideas?

UK:

Hanif Kureishi
"Buddha of Suburbia" (novel, bbc mini series)
My Beautiful Launderette
Sammy & Rosie Get Laid
http://akas.imdb.com/Name?Kureishi,+Hanif

Austria:

Nordrand. Austria 1999. Several young immigrant girls learn to
cope and make new friends. VHS (PAL, german) at video.polyfilm.at
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0209187

Born in Absurdistan. Austria 2000. Immigrant/bureaucracy comedy,
directed by Houchang Allahyari. German VHS www.filmladen.at
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0235413

I Love Vienna. Austria 1991. Immigrant falls in love... Another
Houchang Allahyari film. Does not seem to be available on VHS or DVD,
maybe ask at www.epofilm.at
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0102087

Germany:

Angst essen Seele auf - Rainer Werner Fassbinder's romantic
drama about cross-cultural love
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0071141

Erkan und Stefan - Comedy with two kids (who grew up speaking
bavarian german dialect, apparently) imitating turkish-german prole
slang. Very successful, though it seems doubtful to me whether it's
"integrative humor" or just poking fun at a minority.
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0216741

Happy Birthday, Türke!
His name's Kemal Kayankaya, but he doesn't speak a single
word of Turkish... and he's working as a private eye in Germany.
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0102000

Netherlands:

The Flodders
Flodder 1 has a poor family moving to an upscale neighborhood,
Flodder 2 has them sent top New York... weird, sometimes funny,
and they don't adjust... much :-)
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0091060

USA:

Possibly "Manchurian Candidate" - Korea vets come home brainwashed
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0056218

Maybe "Born on the 4th of July" - Vietnam vet returns home,
some culture shock stuff maybe?
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0096969

Little Big Man - Old man tells how he was raised by the Cheyenne
tribe "Human Beings" and fought General Custer...
http://akas.imdb.com/Details?0065988

Hope this helps
Dave Skreiner
DVD-Home mag, Germany