SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:06:24 -0500
Jean-Pierre Geuens requests:

> does anyone have suggestions for foreign (european, soviet, asian, etc.)
> movies containing a scene of a trial whose standards are altogether
> different from what we are accustomed to?

I don't know if these all fit what you're looking for, but here are
some possibilities:

Costa-Gavras' THE CONFESSION
Wajda's DANTON
BREAKER MORANT
A CRY IN THE DARK
Visconti's THE STRANGER (from Camus' novel)
A DRY WHITE SEASON
IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER
Chabrol's UNE AFFAIRE DES FEMMES
THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE
EIGHT O'CLOCK WALK
Ken Russell's THE DEVILS
the various films about Joan of Arc (Dreyer, Bresson, Besson, Preminger)
the various films about Oscar Wilde (with Peter Finch, Robert Morley,
Stephen Fry)
THE WINSLOW BOY (both versions)
Dreyer's DAY OF WRATH
Chaplin's MONSIEUR VERDOUX
Kurowsawa's I LIVE IN FEAR (about a commitment proceeding, but a trial
nonetheless)
the gangsters' trial of the murderer in Lang's M
Pabst's version of THE THREEPENNY OPERA

As a contrast in propaganda: the Nazi film JEW SUSS

As contemporary American contrasts:
BROKEDOWN PALACE
RETURN TO PARADISE

Don Larsson
Donald F. Larsson, English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite