SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:58:35 -0500
Scott Hutchins responds:

> any change they made 20 years after the release to this scene would be financial suicide, since millions of people have seen it and
> they're not going to get anybody to buy it if they alter it. Sure, MGM could absorb the loss, but why would they want to create it
> to begin with?

I can easily imagine (unfortunately) some idiot in marketing thinking
that something should be done about the film, but as it stands:

a) the rumor is false

b) the synopsis of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK that would apparently set off
such a post-facto editing job is wildly incorrect about the film's
plot (Air Force One does *not* crash into the WTC--In fact, no plane
does.)

It would make as much (i.e., little) sense to edit out the WTC from
WORKING GIRL, the Neal Diamond THE JAZZ SINGER, and any other films of
the last 30 years that include a shot of southern Manhattan. Or, for
that matter, to take the Pan Am, Howard Johnson's, and Bell Telephone
logos out of the the space wheel in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (or maybe,
drop the year from the title itself!).

In short, I think that we have been seeing a new Internet Urban Legend
spring up before our very eyes!

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson, English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite