SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Ron Leming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:39:04 -0700
"Kurosawa was very interested in filming a Godzilla film."

Oh, now THAT would have definitely been curious and interesting.
Godzilla as Ronin.
I have to say though, that the first Godzilla film has a sense of
intensity, of atmosphere and mood, that sets it apart from all that
follows. As silly as the movie is, I think a lot of modern film makers
could learn a lot about creating mood and atmosphere and tension from
the first zilla movie. None of the rest of the films have that marvelous
quality. Having never seen the Japanese version, only the americanized
version with Raymond Burr in it, I don't know if this holds true, or if,
in fact, that sense of atmosphere and mood is even more present in the
pure film.

--
"Clearly, he was the victim of some diabolical method of mind control"
Vincent Price in THE RAVEN

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite