SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Hr Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:30:08 EDT
I dug up some intriguing Godzilla books and references in connection with a
recent piece just published in cyberspace called HEIMLICH MANEUVRES: ON A
CERTAIN TENDENCY IN SCIENCE FICTION AND SPECULATIVE CINEMA. You can find the
paper on the PSYART website (Center for the Psychological Study of Art) out
of Gaynesville, Fla. UFL. Piece is about the transformation in sequels of
cinema monsters from figures of dread and terror to figures of fun; mascots
and protectors of children; and rescuers of mindkind at large.

MONSTER ZERO is one the most intriguing films in the Godzilla canon, and a
total hoot as far as I am concerned.

Yukio Mishima was another admirer of Godzilla (or Gojira, as I believe he is
called in Japan). Best. HR Greenberg MD ENDIT

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite