SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:47:37 -0500
My apologies for any cross-postings.  You can also access this CFP at:

http://www.english.mnsu.edu/wintern/index.htm

Call for Papers--"Time of Transition: Developing Regional Literatures"

A Regional Literary Conference for Students and Faculty: Friday, April 5, 2002

Many images come to mind when someone mentions Southern fiction or
Lakota Sioux writing. Genres such as these are "defined" by complex
considerations of cultural, linguistic, and philosophical proportions.
A denomination like "Southern fiction" can never indicate one thing
alone: we need to look at how we examine boundaries, how the North
plays a part in Southern identity, how history has exerted itself upon
the Southern scene and so on ad infinitum. When we say we that we
analyze "developing regional literatures," we take part in a
multi-dimensional task that involves both the prehistory and the future
of varying traditions as well as everything in between chronological
extremes such as these. The phrase "developing regional literatures"
can be thought of as a noun as well as a verb; this blending of being
and action creates a dynamic interplay that warrants continued and
rigorous study.

You are invited to submit presentation proposals for a conference
focusing on the development of regional literature across the United
States sponsored by the English Department graduate students at
Minnesota State University, Mankato. Regions can be considered
traditionally by denominations such as "Northeast" and "Southwest," but
creative appellations that involve fictional regions and
originally-demarcated regions that arise from scholarly research are
encouraged as well. We welcome proposals that represent a variety of
arise from the relationship between the writer and the location(s) to
which she commits her pen. Presenters could examine the sociological
aspects of a certain region as represented by its literature or the
historical significance of literature through the region from which it
stems. Other possibilities could include essays on film adaptations or
interpretations of regional literature, multicultural influences in
regional literatures, and how memoirs have shaped or contributed to
regional literature. All manners of interdisciplinary approaches are
encouraged.

Presentation proposals may either be individual- or panel-oriented.
Individual presentations should be no more than fifteen minutes long.
Panels will consist of no more than three-four presenters, with time
allotted for discussion at the end of the presentations. Proposals for
papers and/or panels should include the following: a title; an abstract
not to exceed 300 words per individual; and a brief one paragraph
statement about the presenter(s), including academic affiliation,
mailing address, and email address. Please mention any audio/visual
requirements your presentation will require.

Paper and panel topics may include (we welcome any other suggestions):

· What is Regional Literature?

· Faulkner and the Fictional Development of Yoknapatawpha County

· The Immigrant Experience in Literature of the Early Midwest

· European Influences in the Migration Literature of the Early United
  States Settlers

· North vs. South: Dividing the United States by Civil War and Literature

· What Defines Regional Literature throughout the United States?

· Willa Cather and the Pioneer Literature of the Midwest

· The Influence of Native American Myths and Stories on the Literature of
   the Southwest

· Generational Development in Regional Literature

· Edward Abbey and Contemporary Views of the American West

· Louise Erdrich and Her Considerations of Contemporary Native
  American Life in the Midwest

· Regional Literature and Borderlands

· Toni Morrison and Magical Realism That Arises from Place

· The Fireside Poets & How Their Works Helped Develop Concepts of
   the Literature of New England

· Regionalism and Diaspora

All abstracts should be received no later than Friday, January 18,
2002. Notification of acceptance will be sent by Friday, February 1,
2002.

Submit abstracts to:

Spring 2002 Time of Transition Conference, English Department, Minn.
St. U., Mankato, 230 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001. Fax: (507)
389-5362 Phone: (507) 389-1022 Email: [log in to unmask]

Minnesota State University, Mankato is an affirmative action/equal
opportunity educator and employer. This document is available in
alternative format to individuals with disabilities by calling the
Department of English at (507) 389-2117 or (800) 327-3529 (MRS/TTY).