SCREEN-L Archives

October 2001, Week 1

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:05:44 +0100
Christopher Nuzzi writes:

>Since the demise of Microsoft's "Cinemania", which while far from perfect
>was better than nothing, I have not been able to find a CD-ROM film
>database. Although I would prefer a detailed, academically rigorous program,
>I would be satisfied with even a basic database that was no more than, say,
>the Leonard Maltin book in electronic form. Is there such a disc available
>for Macintosh computers?

The British Film Institute used to produce a CD database called Film Index
International (I haven't seen any new versions for a couple of years, so
maybe they've discontinued it) which was far better than Cinemania.  It
didn't have any fancy graphics crap but the search facility was far more
versatile and it contained references to academic books and articles under
film titles or personalities.  It's essentially a cut-down version of their
SIFT database which you have to go to the BFI library in London to use.

I'd totally recommend this disc but for one little detail - the last I
enquired, it cost about UKP900 (i.e. around USD1,400).  If they marketed it
to individuals at a cost that individuals could reasonably afford I'm sure
they'd have a large market for it.

Dr. Leo Enticknap
Director, Northern Region Film and Television Archive
School of Law, Arts and Humanities
Room M616, Middlesbrough Tower
University of Teesside
Middlesbrough  TS1 3BA