SCREEN-L Archives

September 2001, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:48:55 -0500
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]> said:

>This strikes me as a very similar procedure to the dubbing by Jean Barry of
>Anny Ondra's voice in the sound version of 'Blackmail'.  This was recorded
>using RCA single-system (i.e. the optical soundtrack is exposed in the same
>camera as the picture) sound on film cameras, NOT Vitaphone as has been
>stated in several books and articles.  Post-syncing in 'Blackmail' was
>impossible because the sound cameras necessary for re-recording had not
>arrived in Britain by that time.

Leo's comment reminds me that several of Hitchcock's British films have
been released on DVD with digitally enhanced audio tracks.  I was watching
the DVD of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1934) recently and was stunned at how
much clearer the dialogue was.  The signal-to-noise ratio has been much
improved.

Normally, I'd advocate seeing films in their original condition, but I
think this is one case where the manipulation of a film is truly an
improvement.

Jeremy Butler