SCREEN-L Archives

June 2001, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:14:49 -0400
>my institution is discussing the possibility of introducing a basic
>course that we talk about as "intro to filmmaking" even though we
>would be limited to using video as the medium for the course . .

If nothing else you'll want to change the name of the course.  Though conceptually things like editing and camera angles are the same the two media are quite different in practical terms.  A student who had taken a class called "Intro to Filmmaking" who can't load film into a camera or tape/glue a splice really can't be said to have been introduced to filmmaking.  Film will require lab work that video does not while video needs computer/electronics knowledge that film doesn't.  Plus there are numerous other differences: image quality, the way lighting works, sound, the effect of aesthetic decisions (for example, long takes don't work the same in video as in film), immediacy, distribution, etc.