SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Frank Tomasulo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 21:27:32 -0400
Dear All: I have no special knowledge about Max Schreck's vampiric tendencies but I did want to mention a very obvious ERROR of anachronism in the film's dialogue, one that no film scholars have pointed out yet (to my knowledge at least):

At one point in SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE, one of the producers compares Murnau to the best of the world's filmmakers--D. W. Grifith and Sergei Eisenstein.  Of course, in 1922, when NOSFERATU was released, Eisenstein had not even directed his first major STAGE production for the Proletkult Theater group, let alone a feature film. His first feature, STRIKE, wasn't released until 1924.  Perhaps the mythology of Eisenstein's reputation mattered more for the makers of SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE than any semblance of historical accuracy!

Best,

Frank

Frank P. Tomasulo
Editor
CINEMA JOURNAL

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 05/09/01 11:40 AM >>>

Prefatory note:

Please help out this journalist with an interesting
film history question posed to Film & History.  The
quicker the response the better given deadlines...

Bill Didio is not on our discussion groups, so please
respond to his query at his address, below.

Peter Rollins
www.filmandhistory.org

CALL FOR INFORMATION: VAMPIRES AND
    NOSFERATU

We are thinking about possibly doing something on
the urban legend portrayed in the recent Hollywood release "shadow of
the vampire", that way back when the silent film "nosferatu" was
shooting in germany -- and perhaps during its release here too -- rumors
were circulating that max schreck was, in fact, a vampre.

have you run across this myth/possible publicity stunt? if not, any
ideas who might know about such things, or where i might look? internet
research has been pretty dry on the subject, at the most simply saying
that:
- scheck was wonderfully creepy in makeup
- he was a prolific actor
- "nosferatu" was probably the stage actor's first film
- "max schreck" means something like "maximum terror" or "ultimate
shreak" in german
- the movie ran into problem's with bram stoker's estate and a judge
ordered all prints burned
- he might have studied with stanislavski, etc.

...but no real firm tales of the story circulating or funny/creepy
behind-the-scenes production anecdotes related by schreck's co-stars, or
even myths that came to life in hollywood long after the film was out of
circulation.

Bill Didio