SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Reagan Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 18:46:08 -0400
I just wanted to drop a note thanking everybody who made recommendations to
my request for "suggestions," some of which I am still puzzling over
(_Christine_? _Die Hard_?) but all of which were interesting and useful. In
case anybody is curious the request is for my dissertation project yes but
more particularly, it is for a class I am teaching in the fall entitled
"The Political and Didactic in Contemporary (I wanted to use the term
Postmodern here but I was afraid I might scare away prospective
undergraduates) Cinema." The class will stress some of the work that I am
doing for my dissertation project, largely, in short, dealing with much of
Jameson's body of work, didactism, Marxism, film, and the postmodern. One
of the reasons I made the request is that Jameson's work is almost
unreadable for most undergraduates and thus I have been looking for
substitute pieces to use (surprisingly, at least to me, Jameson apparently
has not been specifically used much in film studies). And, in terms of film
titles, though I have several titles in mind, some that I am using for my
project (Beatty's _Bulworth_, Kubrick's _Eyes Wide Shut_, and Robbins'
_Cradle Will Rock_) and some that I am just interested in (_Fight Club_,
_American Psycho_) I had quite a few wholes to fill and thought other
titles might be suggested that I hadn't thought of, and indeed many of your
suggestions I am looking at presently. Anyway, thanks again.

Best,
Reagan