SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Timothy Shary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 11:35:27 -0500
Reagan,

        In terms of postmodernism and cinema, you should check out an
anthology edited by Cristina Degli-Esposti, simply called "Postmodernism
in the Cinema", which Berghan Books put out a few years ago.

        And you mentioned your work on Jameson-- I agree how difficult he
can be for undergrads.  In the Degli-Esposti book I have an article on
Jameson in which I apply his cinematic ideas to youth films (under a
concept I called "postmodern puberty").  Even though the first half of the
article is pretty much straight Jameson, the second half deals with films
("Wayne's World", "Reality Bites", etc.) which undergrads appreciate, and
when I teach the article I find that students more readily apply Jameson's
theories than when he (or postmodernism) is presented alone.  Alas, some
of these films may now seem out of date to undergrads-- the early '90s was
half a lifetime ago for them-- but I hope you might find the article
useful.

        The book also contains interesting essays on "The Player",
"Aladdin", "The Simpsons", and "Barton Fink", which students might also
find interesting.  Good luck with your course, and with convincing
students that postmodernism extends well beyond Tarantino's three films.

        Tim Shary
        Clark University