SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Timothy Shary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 16:50:00 -0500
        I don't know if you've already consulted it, but I think a helpful
source for your inquiry would be Frederick Copleston's analysis of Kant
under "Aesthetics and Teleology", which is part six of his Kant discussion
in "A History of Philosophy" (vol. VI, chapter 15).  Copleston offers a
very interesting exploration of the antinomy (in the judgement of taste as
based upon concepts) and its solution that Kant presents in "Dialectic of
the Aesthetic Judgment".  Some folks find Copleston rather theistic and
now outdated, but it could be a stimulating start.  Your thesis sounds
interesting, and the connection of this area of Kant's work with Benjamin
is promising.  Good luck--

        Timothy Shary
        Clark University

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite