SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Chris Horak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 19:24:56 EDT
I want to correct the  impression in this thread that little material is
available on  Murnau and NOSFERATU. There is quite a large selection of
German language sources, including an excellent monograph, F.W. Murmau, put
out by Hanser (Munich) a few years ago.

I also want to second Dennis Doros' note that Murnau  was a strict  Prussian.
In point of fact, one can argue his crash landing in Switzerland in World War
I,  subsequently "forcing " him to spend the rest of the war there as an
enemy alien, was his way of legally deserting the German army.

While Shadow of the  Vampire makes an interesting fiction film, I have never
found any stories in any contemporary German sources (trade  periodicals,
newspapers, etc.) that even hinted that Schreck was anything but a character
actor who had one great role in his career.

CHRIS Horak