SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 14:36:37 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/01 11:00:27 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Dennis,

I'd love to know where to get my hands on those letters and telegrams.  My
knowledge of Murnau comes primarily from talking to Floyd Crosby and going
through the Flaherty papers, and the image that emerges is far more
negative than the one that you allude to in those letters and telegrams.
I'm not disputing what you are saying.  As in many cases, personality is a
many faceted thing.

Mark >>

Dear Mark,
Yes, Flaherty was one of the main instigators of the Prussian view -- at the
same time, he was berating Murnau for his homosexuality. Monica said that
Murnau was difficult, but her father "was no prize either..."

I have a few telegrams and letters from Murnau to Fox and Hilliker and
Caldwell. But one of the German archives has a bulk of his papers. But the
main papers are supposedly with the nieces still and Enno Patalas and Werner
Sudendorf are both trying to get access and I think they are succeeding.
There's also a lovely letter Murnau wrote to Fox that's in MoMA's collections.

Must run, Amy's back and her mother's day present is upstairs hanging up for
her to see...

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128