SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Staven Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 15:46:15 -0500
Jim Crocamo,

Thank you for the correction, it was indeed Tom Cruise in Jordon's
'Interview With A Vampire' and Gary Oldman in "Dracula".

I do also agree with you that Merhige's 'Begotten' is quite intriguing
and exciting. In regards to him being a part of big bad Hollywood
though, I think I will just have to refrain from an too much of an
opinion on that until I see what kind of work he continues to do.

Where I think we split in opinion is in regards to how sinister 'Shadow
Of A Vampire' is historically. I agree with you that it is not an epic
of Murnau's life, and indeed it is done for amusement's sake. However my
contention is simply that applying fanciful and fun fiction to a
particular historical story, no matter how significant or insignificant,
does in fact begin to revise the story itself and opens the way for even
greater, more devastating revisions. I think in the case of Murnau it is
even more of a sinister case than we can imagine, as Murnau is almost 80
years gone, and the struggle continues to uncover the facts and truth
about an almost, in many respects, forgotten artist.

However, I do hope you are right in that Merhige will continue to create
and produce work like 'Begotten' from inside a studio system.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite