SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 2

From:
Jim Crocamo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:51:01 -0700
Staven Bruce wrote:
> All in all though, it would appear that for
> Hollywood, Murnau's real
> life and work weren't interesting enough to script
> and shoot, so they
> had to "add" their gratuitous "embellishments".
> Ideas that the actor Max
> Scheck, who went on be featured in around 20 other
> films (www.imdb.com
> lists his other films), was a Vampire are just a
> part of that ploy to
> get you to see the "Shadow Of A Vampire" and perhaps
> to get you to buy
> the badly "remastered" edition of "Nosferatu" on DVD
> which was released
> a couple of weeks before "Shadow Of The Vampire".

First of all, I don't think I'd really refer to
Merhige as being part of big bad hollywood.  his first
film _BEGOTTEN_ is probably one of the most exciting
things I've seen recently- and it owes a great debt to
silent cinema (not a line spoken in the entire film,
though there are soundeffects).  Shadow was released
by Lion's Gate but the budget was 8 million-  hardly
staggering by today's standards, and it had a pretty
limited release.  Besides, this isn't anything as
sinister as some Oliver Stone revisionist epic of
Murnau's life, it merely moves forward from the
PREMISE of 'what if Max Schreck THOUGHT he MAY BE a
vampire?' and it's mainly for amusement's sake.

 I suppose it would be the modern
> equivalent of a film
> studio releasing a film 80 years from now on the
> making of Francis Ford
> Coppla's "Dracula" and insisting at the time the
> film was released,
> rumors began to circulate that Tom Cruise was really
> a Vampire.

You might be right, if the film was about Fritz Lang
making Nosferatu.  Tom Cruise starred in Neil Jordan's
Interview With A Vampire, not Coppola's Dracula.

-Jim