SCREEN-L Archives

April 2001, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:48:52 -0500
Rob King requests:

> hello all
> excluding (a) meet me in st. louis and (b) a number of keystone shorts, could anyone tell me of american films
 which involve the world's fair, expositions, and the like? i'd be
particularly interested in any information about films that involve or
refer to the world's columbian exposition in chicago (1893).
> yours, rob king

LITTLE EGYPT (1951) is about the scandalous belly dancer of the Chicago
exposition.

SO LONG AT THE FAIR (1950) is set at the 1889 Paris Expo

CENTENNENIAL SUMMER (1946) is an Oscar Preminger musical (!) set at the
Philadelphia expo of 1876

GOOD MORNING, BABYLON features the 1915 San Francisco expo as
inspiration for the sets of INTOLERANCE, among other things

MEN IN BLACK uses the old New York State Pavillion of the 1963-64 NY
World's Fair for an interesting gag/effect

Not a film, but the Chicago Expo is central to Chris Ware's amazing
graphic novel, JIMMY CORRIGAN: THE SMARTEST KID ON EARTH.

Don Larsson

Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University