SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:40:34 -0500
[Apologies in advance for duplication.]

Some recent on-line discussions have danced
around the issue of the relationship between
a "tragic world view" and conservative politics,
particularly as this relationship is activated in
films.   One contributor, for example, in discussing
GLADIATOR, speculated that the tragic hero
pursues freedom with no regard for social
responsibility . . . from which it might follow
that a "liberal" view -- with one eye always set
on the horizon of social justice -- cannot support
the tragic figure and thus cannot support tragedy.

This seems to me a rich and important topic well
worth pursuing.  So I propose a panel for the 2001
MLA convention [Dec 27-30 in New Orleans] on:

LIBERALISM, TRAGEDY, & CONTEMPORARY
              HOLLYWOOD CINEMA

where these issues can be worked through more
fully and carefully, as they deserve.   If you have any
interest in submitting a paper for such a panel, or
even serving as respondent, please let me know
ASAP.  The MLA works with enormous lead time
and a coherent detailed proposal with names, ranks,
and serial numbers probably needs to be at the
MLA office within the month, making speed essential.

Follow up on list if you like, or e-mail me off list at

Thanks.