SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:43:45 -0600
C. Kuy Thurman requests:

> I am currently writing my Honours thesis on Alternate Realities in Cinema.
> I would appreciate any content suggestions and text & theory recommedations
> from the esteemed readers of Screen-L.  Especially useful to me at this
> stage would be text & theory recommendations.
>
> In my thesis I am planning to cover the areas of 'Virtual & Computer
> generated Realities', 'Drug-Induced Realities', 'Psychosis-Induced
> Realities', and 'Alternate Realities presented as Actual.'

It might be useful as background to look at some of the literature on
*print" SF and alternate realities.  Check the MLA Bibliography and
indexes for EXTRAPOLATION and SCIENCE FICTION RESEARCH especially.  You
might want to check on specific authors as well, such as Philip K. Dick
(especially THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE) and Thomas Disch (whose CAMP
CONCENTRATION is one of the first to deal with drug-induced
"realities").

The last category could be pretty broad, depending on how you define
it.  Even JURASSIC PARK is an "alternate reality presented as actual."

Don Larsson
Donald F. Larsson
English Department, AH 230
Minnesota State University