SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 1

From:
James Monaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 02:10:23 -0500
Hello Screen-L,

For about seven years I've been working on a multimedia version of a
book I wrote quite awhile ago called "How To Read a Film."

We recently finished the disc (it's a DVD-ROM) and it just won the
DVD Excellence Award from the DVD Association, the major trade group.

I'd be very interested in feedback from the list on this project.
There is a tour available at http://readfilm.com but it only gives
you a bit of a taste, since we had to compress the hell out of it to
accomodate low bandwidths.

If you are interested in the DVD-ROM itself, I've arranged for a
significant discount for Screen-L participants at
http://readfilm/Screen-L

The disc includes four eBooks, 135 film clips (4+ hours), scores of
audios, interviews, interactive labs, and more. The books are: How To
Read a Film, The Dictionary of New Media (both available also on
paper), and two anthologies--Reading about Film and Reading about New
Media (available only as eBooks).

Since I haven't been in a classroom myself for 15 years I'd really be
interested to hear your reactions, either on the list or privately.

Thanks.

James Monaco