SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:53:41 -0500
Todd Breijak requests:

> I am still thinking in terms of Rushmore, but also including films like
> Dead Poets' Society, Class, Scent of a Woman, Taps, Lord of the Flies
> (well, not exactly, but I'm sure there's something in there that I can
> use), etc.
>
> I'm obviously focusing on "boy-films," mainly because the only girl-type
> boarding-school movies I can come up with are something called The Trouble
> with Angels (which I've not seen); and Mädchen in Uniform, which has been
> just done to death by the gender- and lesbian-studies crowd.
>
> So, then--Now I'm asking for help in finding any journal articles that in
> any way deal with these types of films. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Some other films (and articles on) to consider:

Jean Vigo, ZERO FOR CONDUCT
Lindsay Anderson, IF . . .
both versions of THE BROWNING VERSION
TOM BROWN'S SCHOOLDAYS
GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS
A SEPARATE PEACE
Malle's AU REVOIR, LES ENFANTS
CHILD'S PLAY (1972, not to be confused with the later Chucky movies)
THE POWER OF ONE
the original Clouzot version of DIABOLIQUE
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP
DAVID COPPERFIELD
YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES
FAREWELL, MY CONCUBINE
SCHOOL TIES
Welles' THE STRANGER
ANOTHER COUNTRY (about Burgess and McLean)
LITTLE MEN

Note that these include films that are fairly drenched in nostalgia and
films that are drenched in vitriol. Some focus on the teachers, and
some only have a few scenes set at the schools themselves.

You might also be interested in films that specifically deal with
military schools:
THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE
TAPS
THE PRIVATE WAR OF MAJOR BENSON
THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR
THE STRANGE ONE, with a young Ben Gazzara
UP THE ACADEMY (openly disavowed by MAD magazine, which originally
commissioned it)
TOY SOLDIERS

For films about girls, you might consider
JANE EYRE
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE
LOLITA
THE BELLES OF ST. TRINIANS and its sequels
A LITTLE PRINCESS
MADELINE
MATILDA

Don Larsson