SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 4

From:
Ken Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 02:18:05 -0700
Speaking of Orson Welles, Citizen Kane could be read this way to an extent
in that it is a conflict between a man's public life and his
ethical/personal one.

I bet there are a lot of FAUST related movies lately related to the
Internet, as if you look in the Marlowe play, Faust asks first (I think) for
infinite knowledge and proceeds to describe something similar to the
Internet.

Perhaps: anything concerning Nixon, like Oliver Stone's NIXON

Finally, a rather imaginative film but unimaginative choice: Dutch animator
Jan Svankmajer's FAUST, which pulls out all the gimmicks: stop motion,
puppets, surrealism, etc. Here, the only lines of dialogue are actually from
the play but they are done in such a way that hte play itself
surrealistically forces itself upon a single main character. This would be a
very good film about semiotics, because it seems as though the distinction
between the representation and what is represented break down throughout the
movie--a man playing FAUST is Faust, a puppet of a devil is a devil.

hope this helps
ken