SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Jans WAGER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:48:47 -0600
I agree with Jeff's suggestion of R. Barton Palmer's book; it's both accessible and inexpensive.  That, and E. Ann Kaplan's Women in Film Noir would make a great pair of books for an undergrad class.

I hope you'll also take a look at my book, Dangerous Dames: Woman and Representation in the Weimar Street Film and Film Noir.  I talk specifically about the Maltese Falcon, Gun Crazy, The Big Heat, The Last Seduction, and Devil in a Blue Dress, and generally about issues of gender and spectatorship.  Maybe a chapter or two will work for you...

Jans B. Wager, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of English and Literature
Utah Valley State College