SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

From:
Sandy Camargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:46:55 -0600
I guess the key point here is Thomas's note that "all students are
grown-ups." Mine aren't. Many of them are from rural areas who have never
lived away from home before and who have not had the benefits of big-city
life. The other issue is the protectiveness that the administrations of
large public universities here feel toward their students (the "in loco
parentis" doctrine), which often means that, in the case of a conflict
between a teacher and the student/parents, the administration will support
the student.

That said, I don't want to give the impression that I only include PG films
in my courses. I just try to be thoughtful about the films that I select.

Sandy Camargo
Department of English
University of Missouri

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite