SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:26:56 -0400
>but Rentschler argues that Nazi entertainment films without an >immediately apparent propaganda objective (that being defined as one >which a lay viewer could not readily decipher without a certain >level of historical background) are regularly shown in modern >Germany without most viewers associating them with Nazism.

I saw Rentschler speak at the Goethe Institute once and he said that many of these films are even shown on German TV fairly often because there is nothing offensive in the films themselves.  In that series, I made a special point of seeing "Swing Kids" (not the recent film by that title) because that seemed like a unique opportunity for a musical comedy made by Nazis.  But you'd really have to put the interpretive machinery into overdrive to unveil any fascist aesthetics at work in that one.

LT