SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:00:00 EDT
In a message dated 8/1/00 11:28:31 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<   The quote was made sometime in the 1980s or early '90s (at
  least that's when I read it) and it was made by a
  Republican political figure.  (If memory serves it was made
  by a member of Reagan's administration, maybe James Watt or
  Dick Cheney, but it might also have been made by someone in
  the legislative branch like Newt Gingrich.)  This person
  said (in a paraphrase):  "I used to watch Ingmar
  Bergman films like everyone else in the 1960s but they made
  me depressed so I stopped.  Now I'm not depressed any
  more.") >>

It was definitely William Bennett who horribly was the Secretary of Education
at the time. It was either in Newsweek or Time and I believe the quote also
mentioned black turtleneck shirts and coffee houses. Sorry, I can't be more
definite, but it was a memorable read at the time. I still blame Reagan for
the death of college film societies!

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video