SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:58:25 -0400
>I would have trouble listing 10 films, made in the last 20 years, >that truly maximise the wide-screen format.

This sounds like the call for a new thread.  Limiting this to American movies (not out of chauvinism but because many if not most Hong Kong films use a lot of widescreen space and are nearly always letterboxed on video; pretty much the same for Indian films), off the top of my head:

Kundun
Rushmore
Underneath
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Very Bad Things (only 1.85 but really uses that space)
Face/Off
The Hunt for Red October
Mars Attacks

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite