SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:23:27 -0400
Are most videos outside the US letterboxed or does it vary by country/region?  Nearly all Hong Kong videos from the past couple of decades are letterboxed and from my limited samplings of Indian films they also seem to be where appropriate.  And most of the videos that I've seen from the UK, France, Italy, Japan and Australia (not to mentin broadcasts on the Canadian Showcase and Bravo channels) have been letterboxed but that might be because I'm not watching British tapes of Hollywood hits (since after all I can see those here), which might be less likely to be letterboxed.

So my impression is that letterboxing is both more common and more accepted outside the US but again I can't tell if this is a sampling error. Any ideas?

LT

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite