SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

From:
"Meryem C. Ersoz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:58:36 -0600
What is that great book by Richard Altick? The Shows of London or
something like that...Terry Castle also has a swell essay on the subject
in The Female Thermometer.

You should also check out illustrated magazines of the period. I have
collected dozens of magic lantern stories from the Scientific American of
that period. London Illustrated News would also be worth a look, although
I think the Scientific American of that period is one of the best research
sources for magic lantern studies. It is a great untapped resource, I
might add.

Jack Judson owns a private museum in Texas. He is probably the nation's
foremost expert on magic lantern collecting and has a fantastic collection
of lanterns, slides, etc. I think he has a web site, too.

Good luck. Great subject, very underscrutinized.

Meryem Ersoz