SCREEN-L Archives

April 2000, Week 3

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 18:10:18 -0400
Mark: Obviously, Jar Jar Binks is the much needed "comic relief" in the
unrelentingly dour The Phantom Menace. The main criticism of Binks is his
similarity to black actors such as Stepin Fetchit and Willie Best from the
movies of the 30's and 40's, insulting stereotypes of the bumbling, naive,
eye-rolling, knee shaking, slack jawed, servile black man, both of whom
played comic relief mainly in "B" pictures. My main problem with The
Phantom Menace is that it is simply too "high tech", bearing in mind that
it took place some 30 to 40 years before the original Star Wars. Poor old
Darth Vader had to make do with live soldiers, whereas his predecessors had
robot armies and other sophisticated weapons. Even the light sabres were
more advanced!  Whatever happened to being rational and following natural
progression in technology? Just because film computer animation itself is
more developed doesn't mean it has to be used. Shame on you, George Lucas.
Peter Warren