SCREEN-L Archives

April 2000, Week 3

From:
Mark Bahlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Bahlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:29:07 +0930
I don't know about you - but I was immensely disappointed with Episode One of the new Star Wars trilogy. One of the most annoying facets of this was the horrid characterisation of Jar Jar Binks, which I gather has become something of a swear word these days.

I came across this essay on that character, and was intrigued by what it had to say and how this application of folklore structure worked in The Phantom Menace. I could see that in the other trilogy, but hadn't given this film much thought. It actually may provide a good reason to hang out for the next couple of films!

What do you think?

Mark

http://www.space.com/spaceimagined/movies/jar_jar_holy_fool_000414.html