SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 1

From:
marioncrane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:59:24 -0000
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help? I am a film student currently working on a
project concerning Italian neorealism.

My problem is this: while I am familiar with neorealist styles, I am not
entirely sure of the reasoning behind them. For example, why use lengthy
takes, predominantly long, and medium shots, and what is termed "unobtrusive
editing"? I am also unclear on what is meant by "respect for the continuity
of time and space".

Any comments on the above points, or other relevant input would be
appreciated. Thankyou.

Sheridan Collier