SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 5

From:
valerie orpen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:18:19 BST
Mike,

I used images in my thesis (on editing, so they
were very necessary to limit the amount of detailed textual
analysis). I used something called an 'authoring computer' which
does 'image capturing' off videotapes. It's basically a computer
linked up to a VCR. It can capture colour frames (those use a lot
of memory though) or black and white. The definition is quite
impressive, it's free and there is no risk of copyright
infringements (with BFI or AFI frame enlargements, you would
have to acknowledge the source). Of course, you will need this
particular software (VidCap), I was lucky to get hold of this
computer through my university, Warwick UK. It takes time to
learn how to use it, but it's well worth it. Frame enlargements
would cost an absolute bomb, and presumably you would have to
foot the bill. Frame enlargements also take time (to select,
order, receive). Stills are possible, but also expensive and
there is little choice. Image capturing is your best bet by far!

Valerie.

Date:
         Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:55:37 -0000 Reply-to:      Film and TV
Studies Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> From:          mike
chopra-gant <[log in to unmask]> Subject:       Stills and
Frame Enlargements To:            [log in to unmask]

Please don't go to any trouble to answer this but if anyone has any thoughts off the top of their heads I'd be grateful to hear them.

I am thinking about using some frame enlargements in my thesis to illustrate points I am making about key scenes in some of the films I am analysing.  However, I have no idea where it might be possib
Stills might be a more realistic option but, of course, these are not true images from the film, but does that really matter if I only want to use them for illustrative purposes and I am not going to
Thanks in advance

Mike Chopra-Gant
Department of Media and Communications
Goldsmiths College