SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:44:34 -0600
Louie Raynor requests:

> I am looking for suggestions, assistance and any form of direction on the
> pre-mentioned topics. I am soley interested in the dream sequences found in
> the works of Maya Deren and David Lynch - in particular the two films "Lost
> Highway" and "Meshes in the Afternoon". As opposed to the conventional
> Freudian direction I am searching for something alternative. I am interested
> in the semiotic deconstruction of dreams and the way they are constructed
> and employed in the narrative space of films.

While Freud was certainly au courant at the time that MESHES was
filmed, so was Jung.  The film seems to invite an archetypal reading as
strongly as a Freudian one.  The conflation of key, flower, and knife
and the multiplication of selves seem to smack of Jung's notions of the
collective unconscious and the id as a creative force.

Don Larsson
Donald Larsson
Minnesota State U, Mankato