SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:05:23 -0600
Aysen Mustafa requests:

> Hoping SCREEN-L members can provide me with suggestions of film titles to
> study as text in an English class (Year 12 or 17 year olds).  Looking at
> narrative in particular and the choices adults make in their life.

A few that come to mind (how "appropriate" some are for this age and
class probably depends on your school administrators):

Capra's IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
Zinnemann's HIGH NOON, THE NUN'S STORY, and A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS
Stevens' A PLACE IN THE SUN
Welles' CITIZEN KANE
Mulligan's TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
Ritt's THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD and NORMA RAE
Rafelson's FIVE EASY PIECES
May's THE HEARTBREAK KID
Lumet's SERPICO
Coppola's THE CONVERSATION
Fosse's ALL THAT JAZZ
Kasdan's THE BIG CHILL
Armstrong's MY BRILLIANT CAREER
Beresford's TENDER MERCIES
Weir's WITNESS
Ouedragoao's SAMBA TRAORE
Mambety's HYENAS
Mizoguchi's OSAKA ELEGY and UGETSU
Kurosawa's IKIRU
Imamura's INSECT WOMAN
Oshima's MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE and CRUEL STORY OF YOUTH
Bergman's WILD STRAWBERRIES and THE SEVENTH SEAL
Sautet's UN COUER EN HIVER
Ivory's THE REMAINS OF THE DAY
Renoir's THE CRIME OF M. LANGE and GRAND ILLUSION
Chabrol's UNE AFFAIRE DE FEMMES
De Sica's BICYCLE THIEF
Lean's GREAT EXPECTATIONS and BRIEF ENCOUNTER
Reiz's THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN
Sayles' EIGHT MEN OUT, MATEWAN, LONE STAR, and LIMBO
Spielberg's SCHINDLER'S LIST
Allen's CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
Scott's THELMA AND LOUISE
Avnet's FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
Eastwood's UNFORGIVEN
Robbin's DEAD MAN WALKING
Thornton's SLING BLADE
Dreyer's THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC
Von Trier's THE CELEBRATION
Scorsese's RAGING BULL and THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
Babenco's KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN
Puezo's THE OFFICIAL STORY
Szabo's MEPHISTO
Verhoeven's THE NASTY GIRL
Jordan's THE CRYING GAME
Leigh's SECRETS AND LIES
Lee's THE WEDDING BANQUET and EAT DRINK MAN WOMAN

Also, some "coming of age" films that might be of interest to this
audience:
THE LAST PICTURE SHOW
AMERICAN GRAFFITI
GOOD WILL HUNTING