SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
Ken Mogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 18:34:54 +1100
> I am looking for suggestions, assistance and any form of direction on the
> pre-mentioned topics. I am soley interested in the dream sequences found in
> the works of Maya Deren and David Lynch - in particular the two films "Lost
> Highway" and "Meshes in the Afternoon". As opposed to the conventional
> Freudian direction I am searching for something alternative. I am interested
> in the semiotic deconstruction of dreams and the way they are constructed
> and employed in the narrative space of films.

I have been unable to locate and watch Meshes in the Afternoon of recent years,
though I feel that I saw it many years (decades) ago.  But someone last year
sent me a cryptic message (it was while I was writing my book) suggesting that
Deren's film had clearly influenced Hitchcock's Vertigo.

Would anyone - Louie Rayner or anyone else - be able to comment on this, please?

- Ken Mogg (author, 'The Alfred Hitchcock Story', the UK edition - n.b., I
disown the cut and 'simplified' US edition).
http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~muffin

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite