SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 4

From:
mike chopra-gant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 17:55:37 -0000
Please don't go to any trouble to answer this but if anyone has any thoughts off the top of their heads I'd be grateful to hear them.

I am thinking about using some frame enlargements in my thesis to illustrate points I am making about key scenes in some of the films I am analysing.  However, I have no idea where it might be possible to get these.  Would the BFI or AFI have facilities to produce these or would the film companies be the best bet?  Presumably no one is likely to have frame enlargements of precisely the frame I would want so what sort of cost might be involved in producing them?   What are the copyright implications of using these?

Stills might be a more realistic option but, of course, these are not true images from the film, but does that really matter if I only want to use them for illustrative purposes and I am not going to be talking about shot composition?

Thanks in advance

Mike Chopra-Gant
Department of Media and Communications
Goldsmiths College