SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:51:58 -0500
There's a new DVD for Hou's "Flowers of Shanghai" (from Japan, no regional
coding) that runs 114 minutes. My question is whether anybody can confirm
that this is the complete film since most sources give a 120 minute time
(though a few say 125 or even 130). Normally I'd mark this down to time
lost in a PAL conversion except that this seems quite unlikely for a
Japanese DVD (and is Taiwan even on PAL?). It also seems unlikely that the
notes for the Walter Reade Hou retrospective (which says 120m) would be
wrong, especially since other reviews confirm this time. And if Miramax
had released this (no snickering please) then there would be an edited
version but who else would do that? Any ideas about the discrepancy?

LT
Full Alert Film Review
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr.htm

Funhouse