SCREEN-L Archives

January 2000, Week 4

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:11:14 -0500
>In defense of Scott, I don't think his comments were
>strictly designed to "defend Heston" as much as
>criticize Spike Lee--who, for whatever reason, seems
>to have been placed above reproach by some in our
>field.
>
>David Ezell--a little out of breath myself

        I do not believe Lee is above reproach at all. I am very
well aware of the essays written by Amiri Baraka and bell hooks. His
portrayal of women is very problematic, to say the least. I saw him
speak at NYU and Yale a few years back and his attitude is less than
kind. Lastly, I am on a Spike boycott myself.
        Having said this, I still maintain that invoking the
hypothetical critical intervention of a right wing "full time gun
lobbyist" like Charlton Heston is a disservice to our field.

        Gloria Monti

______________________________

gloria monti
special assistant professor
department of audio/video/film
318 dempster hall
111 hofstra university
hempstead, NY 11549-1110
voice mail: 516-463-6463
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~godard/index.html

1/27/1944 the Soviet Union announced the end of the deadly German
siege of Leningrad, which had lasted for more than two years.

1/27/1945 Soviet troops liberated the Nazi concentration camps
Auschwitz and Birkenau in Poland.